Wondering what you should pair with your grass-fed beef? Change up the side dishes for your next dinner with these four ideas for cooking up veggies.
ZUCCHINI & SUMMER SQUASH PARMESAN
- 2 small zucchini OR summer squashOR one of each
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/4 freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Slice zucchini and summer squash into thin rounds with a mandoline or knife and place in a bowl.
- Add all of the spices and a light coating of olive oil and toss with the squash rounds. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place squash rounds on top of a large piece of aluminum foil.
- Cover with grated Parmesan cheese.
- Close foil and fold into a packet.
- Grill over medium heat for 15 minutes or until cooked through. You can also bake the packet in the oven at 350°F.
CREAMY STUFFED POBLANO PEPPERS
- 4 poblano peppers
- 8 oz. cream cheese
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar or cheese blend
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- A dash of cayenne(optional)
- Salt and pepper
- Coat poblano peppers lightly with olive oil and grill them whole over medium heat. Close the grill but check them regularly to flip them in all directions, with the goal of getting the skins charred. (You can also do this on gas stove over the open flame.)
- When the peppers are charred, remove them from the grill. After they cool, add them to a covered dish or closed plastic bag to steam them. That makes it easier to remove the skins.
- Carefully make a cut in each poblano and scoop out the seeds.
- Mix cream cheese, cheese, and all of the spices.
- Gently fill the peppers with the cheese mixture.
- To melt the cheese and blend the flavors, place the peppers back on a grill tray, and grill for 10 minutes over indirect heat. Or place them in a baking dish and bake for 12 minutes at 350°F.
WHOLE STEAMED ARTICHOKES
- One whole artichoke per person
- A few cloves of garlic
- Butter, melted
- One lemon
- Cut the pointy thorns off the tips of the leaves by slicing off the top 1/4-1/2 inch of the artichoke. Tear off the smallest leaves at the base of the artichoke. Slice off the base of the stem, leaving only a small amount, if any.
- Rinse the artichokes, trying to get the water in between the leaves a bit, if possible.
- In a large pot, add approximately two inches of water, a squeeze of lemon and then the entire lemon, and the whole garlic cloves. Salt the water to taste.
- Place artichokes in a steamer basket and insert it into the pot.
- Bring the water to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer and cover.
- Cook artichokes until the outer leaves can be easily removed, approximately 25-40 minutes. The time varies depending on the size of the artichokes and the number you are cooking in your pot.
GRILLED SHISHITO PEPPERS
- One bag or container of shishito peppers
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Sea salt
- Other spices of your choice (optional)
- Preheat grill (or grill pan on the stove) to medium-high.
- Toss shishito peppers with olive oil and salt.
- Grill peppers in a single layer, turning from time to time, until they are charred. It should take 6-8 minutes.
- If you like extra spice, toss the cooked peppers with a little chili powder. For some extra color and crunch, add sesame seeds.